Vegetarian Curry Pies.
You can have Vegetarian Curry Pies using 22 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetarian Curry Pies
- It’s of For the shortcrust pastry.
- Prepare 367 g of plain flour.
- Prepare of Large pinch fine salt.
- It’s 1 of large egg.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 4 TBSP of very cold water.
- It’s 180 g of cold unsalted butter, cubed.
- It’s of For the filling.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 of red onion, finely chopped.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- It’s 15 g of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped.
- You need 3 of bird’s eye chillis, de seeded and diced.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of tumeric.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of ground cumin.
- It’s 400 g of sweet potato, cut into equal chunks.
- Prepare 150 g of red split lentils.
- It’s 1/2 can of chickpeas drained.
- Prepare 800 ml of veg stock.
- It’s 100 g of spinnach.
- Prepare 1/2-1 can of full fat coconut milk.
- Prepare 80 g of sultanas.
Vegetarian Curry Pies instructions
- First, make the filling. Heat the oil in a wide-based saucepan with a tight fitting lid. Add the onion and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 1 minute, then add the spices and cook for a further minute..
- Turn up the heat to medium and add the sweet potato and sultanas, stirring well to coat in the spices. Yup in the lentils and most of the stock. You may not need all the stock so add a few ladles to start and see how well things get absorbed. Bring the liquid to the boil, reduce to a simmer, cover with lid and cook gently for 20 minutes or until sweet potato is tender..
- Stir in the coconut milk (again, a ladle at a time so it doesn’t become too liquidy. Add the chickpeas and spinach and gently stir in..
- Set this aside while you make the pastry. Have ready 4 individual non-stick pie dishes. Put the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Lightly beat the egg with the lemon juice and water in a jug and set aside..
- Add the butter and toss the cubes in the flour to coat. Rub the butter into the flour, using your fingertips. Lift your hands above the bowl, rubbing the fat and flour together then letting the mixture fall back into the bowl. Keep going until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs..
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and pour in the egg mix. Incorporate the liquid into the flour/fat using a claw-like action with one had. Avoid overworking the dough. If too dry, a splash more water..
- When the dough just sticks together in clumps, form it into a ball. Knead it very lightly on a floured surface to bring it together into a smooth dough. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes..
- Roll out two thirds of the dough to the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut out circles and press into the pie dishes to line completely. Take the remaining third of the pastry to roll out and cut out the lids. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C fan..
- To assemble the pies: spoon the curry filling into the pastry cases until level. Brush the edges of the pastry with water, place the pastry lid on top and press down. Using your thumbs and fingertips, seal the pastry together. Brush with beaten egg, make two slits in the lid to allow steam to escape and pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until nicely golden brown..