French Onion Soup.
You can cook French Onion Soup using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- Prepare of The Stock.
- It’s 4 lb of lbs. cracked beef bones/soup bones w/o meat.
- It’s 2 of onions, halved.
- Prepare 2 of scrubbed quartered carrots.
- You need 2 of celery stalks.
- It’s of bouquet garni:0.25 tsp. thyme, 1 bay leaf, 6 parsley sprigs, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, 2 whole cloves.
- You need 10 cups of water.
- You need of For the Onions and Soup.
- It’s 1 1/2 lbs of or about 5 cups of thinly sliced yellow onion.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of Tbs butter+1 Tbs Oil.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 of ⁄4 tsp sugar (helps the onions to brown).
- It’s 3 Tbsp of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- Prepare of The strained Stock.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of tbs Cognac, brings the flavors together.
- You need 4 of rounds of hard-toasted french bread.
- It’s of Grated good Swiss Cheese to cover.
- You need of Cook and assemble.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Heat oven to 450F. Arrange the meat, bones, onions, and carrots in a cast iron pan. Place in the middle portion of the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until nicely browned..
- Remove from the oven and drain fat out of roasting pan. Transfer into an 8 or 10 quart soup kettle. Pour a cup or two of the water to the pan, set over heat (or back in the still hot oven). Scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom. Pour all that into the kettle..
- Tie the Bousquet garni in a coffee filter or cheese cloth..
- Cover ingredients with 10 cups water. Bring to a simmer, skim and add the salt, celery and bouquet garni. Simmer the stock for 4 to 5 hours. Strain the stock out of the kettle into a bowl..
- ONIONS, COOKING AND FINAL ASSEMBLY.
- Melt butter, add oil to a large pot. Add sugar and onions, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes..
- Raise heat and cook, stirring often on medium until golden, around 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook for a minute and add stock and wine. Partially cover and simmer gently for one hour..
- Add Cognac, ladle into oven proof soup bowls, add bread slice and cover with cheese..
- Bake at 400 degrees until lightly brown..