White Sauce (béchamel sauce).
You can have White Sauce (béchamel sauce) using 6 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of White Sauce (béchamel sauce)
- Prepare of For the white sauce:.
- Prepare 50 g of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 50 g of plain flour, sifted (sifting is optional).
- It’s 400-500 ml of soya or whole milk (add more or less).
- Prepare To taste of salt and pepper.
- You need of Sprinkle nutmeg (optional).
White Sauce (béchamel sauce) instructions
- In a medium sauce pan on low heat, add the butter and let it melt..
- Slowly add the flour bit by bit. Keep stirring continuously until a paste forms (or becomes a crumble like texture called a 'roux', the basis for many sauces). Continue cooking and stirring for a couple more minutes..
- Now add the milk very gradually to the roux. Stir gently until it develops into a smooth consistency. Cook for a further 5-10 mins, stirring continuously, until the sauce has thickened..
- When the white sauce has thickened, add a sprinkle of nutmeg (optional) and stir well..
- Lastly, season to taste with salt and pepper. Give it a final good stir and take off the heat. Use for to Italian dishes like lasagne or creamy pasta. This recipe can also be adapted to make white cheese sauce..